Tobias Foss claims men’s time trial as Ellen van Dijk defends women’s title at 2022 UCI Road World Championships in Wollongong
Tobias Foss was the surprise winner of the men’s time trial crown on day one of the 2022 UCI Road World Championships.
The Norwegian cyclist won the race in Wollongong, Australia by 2.95 seconds on Sunday (September 18).
Stefan Kung of Switzerland finished second, with Remco Evenepoel third just days after winning the Vuelta a Espana grand tour title.
Ditch described it as “A perfectly executed race but a completely unexpected victory.” He also participated in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in 2021 in the time trial and the road race.
British rider Ethan Hayter finished fourth despite a puncture on the road and the need to change his wheel. He had the fastest split times in the general classification before this stage.
Third gold medal for van Dijk
The women’s race was won for the second consecutive year by Ellen van Dijk representing the Netherlands.
It is his third overall gold medal at the event, having won the rainbow stripes for the first time in 2013.
On Sunday, the Dutch rider beat Grace Brown from Australia, with Switzerland Marlen Reusser take bronze.
Olympic champion Annemiek van Vleuten finished seventh.
Vittoria Guazzini of Italy was the fastest under-23 rider to complete the course, to claim the first-ever women’s rainbow bands for the age category. The men’s under-23 individual time trial takes place on Monday.
2022 UCI Road World Championships – Women’s Elite Individual Time Trial (TT) Results – Podium, Top Eight, U23 Winner
- Ellen van Dijk (Netherlands) 44:28:60 – Gold medalist.
- Grace Brown (Australia) 44:41:33 – Silver medalist.
- Marlen Reusser (Belgium) 45:10:28 – Bronze Medal.
- Vittoria Guazzini (Italy) 45:20:71 – Fastest under 23 rider to complete the course, to claim the rainbow stripes for the age category.
- Leah Thomas (USA) 45:47:07.
- Kristen Faulkner (USA) 45:54:05.
- Annemiek van Vleuten (Netherlands) 46:11:62.
- Georgia Baker (Australia) 46:15:04.
2022 UCI Road Cycling Worlds – Men’s Elite Individual Time Trial (TT) Results – Podium, Top Eight
- Tobias Foss (Norway) 40:02:78 – Gold medalist.
- Stefan Kung (Switzerland) 40:05:73 – Silver medalist.
- Remco Evenepoel (Belgium) 40:11:94 – Bronze medalist.
- Ethan Hayter (Great Britain) 40:42:73.
- Stefan Bissegger (Switzerland) 40:49:59.
- Tadej Pogacar (Slovenia) 40:50:91.
- Filippo Ganna (Italy) 40:58:10.
- Nelson Oliveira (Portugal) 41:01:76.
The Men’s Under-23 Individual Time Trial takes place on Monday (see full schedule below).
2022 UCI Road World Championships: Schedule and results
About 300,000 spectators are expected on the course while more than 300 million viewers worldwide will follow the event during the eight days of competition.
Here is the program for the eight-day road cycling festival.
(All times are local – AEST/UTC+10)
09:35 am – Individual time trial Elite Women – won by Ellen van Dijk (Netherlands). U23 title won by Vittoria Guazzini (Italy).
1:30 p.m. – Men Elite individual time trial – won by Tobias Foss (Norway).
13:20 Individual time trial men under 23
9.30 a.m. Junior women’s individual time trial
13:20 Individual Time Trial Men Juniors
2:20 p.m. Team time trial mixed relay
8:30 a.m. Junior Men’s Road Race
1:00 p.m. Road race Men Under 23
8:00 a.m. Junior Women’s Road Race
11:55 Elite Women Road Race
10:00 Elite Men’s Road Race
A more detailed schedule and live updates are available on the 2022 UCI Road World Championships Wollongong Race Hub
2022 UCI Road World Championships: How to watch the TV broadcast and live stream online
For the list of official broadcasters broadcasting the 2022 UCI Road World Championships, consult the UCI (International Cycling Union) website.